I am a UX researcher and a Designer currently working at The Design Lab headed by Don Norman (in collaboration with SAP and IBM) on an executive education program for the Center for Design Driven Transformation.
I also graduated with a Masters degree in Computer Science with a specialization in Human-Computer Interaction and Design at University of California, San Diego.
During my graduate degree, I worked as a Design Researcher on multiple projects in the field of Healthcare (with UC School of Medicine), Education research (SAP - Design Lab Joint project), and HCI Research (With Scott Klemmer and Steven Dow at UC San Diego)
Prior to grad school, I worked in industry for almost 2 years as a designer + engineer on a new enterprise product for a Fortune 500 client (under NDA).
Here are few organizations that I follow and have been a part of in the past 2 years :
- San Diego Experience Design (SDXD)
- UX Speakeasy
- Design Forward Alliance
- Designer's Guild (FB)
How do I work ? (My Design Process ?)
My design process is quite iterative, user-centric and highly interdisciplinary by nature. Through grad school, my emphasis has focused a lot on quantitative and qualitative research.
I keep learning and iterating my process and style of work and it varies highly based on every project I work on. However, here are few points that I always try to keep in mind (subject to change with more experience :D) :
- Never make assumptions even if it’s very obvious (because it probably isn’t). Always validate and test your findings with real users.
- Focus on the whole system surrounding the problem by assessing its individual, social and cultural impacts.
- Try exploring every "stakeholder" journey to identify the core problem space.
- Design an “experience” rather than a product, service or an interface.
- Business goals and objectives are equal pillars to user needs in the design blueprint.
- Get feedback as early as possible from all affected stakeholders (developers, designers, users, PMs)
In addition to being a designer, I love to explore places and click pictures of landscapes and wildlife. In my free time, I also game quite often and I try to follow football (soccer) whenever possible.
Inspiring People/blogposts/videos that i follow -
Blog Posts/ Vlogs/ Talks (newest first)
- Norman Doors - Joe Posner from Vox and Don Norman
- Design @ Large Talk by Bill Buxton at UCSD (17th Feb 2016)
- Design @ Large Talk by Kentaro Toyama at UCSD (30th Sept 2016)
- The First Secret of Great Design - Tony Fadell | TED Talks
- Why UX May Be the Two Most Important Letters in Gaming ? - Full Sail University
- Why You're Over-Thinking Your UX ?- Rohan Puri
- Neilson Norman Group